Friday, September 8, 2017

Prime Viewing: The Tick (2017) - Part 1

After reviewing the Pilot long, long ago, I can finally see the actual Show.

Well, okay, the first half.  Yes, there are apparently Mid-Season Breaks with Binge-Watchable Shows on Amazon!

How does it turn out?  Let's see...
The Tick steals the suit for Arthur from some Villains.  He is going to make him accept his destiny, no matter what.
Arthur is now stuck with the suit and he's a target of many criminals, including Ra and Lint.

Kudos to the Show for addressing the obvious too...
It all revolves around The Terror, the Dr. Doom of this Universe who is seemingly-dead, but connected to most of the Cast.
In lieu of Die Fledermaus or American Maid, we get Overkill.  He's an over-the-top Punisher...so he's just The Punisher.

Is he evil or just a violent good guy?
With Villains after him and The Tick trying to push Arthur to embrace his destiny, how will things work out?

To find out, watch the Show (that they gave us so far).
Great fun!  The whole thing totally worked for me and I make no apologies!  I've always liked The Tick.  As a kid, I grew up on the crazy-ass Cartoon.  As a Teenager, I liked the Live-Action Show, even if it only ran for like 2 weeks on TV.  After a long wait for the official Series to debut, this one had a lot to live up to.  Thankfully, it worked.  Peter Serafinowicz totally nails the character, playing him as both insane, fun and sincere.  I still prefer his actual accent, but the voice grew on me after 5 Episodes.  The rest of the Cast is quite good, as they balance Arthur's awkwardness and give depth to all of the Villains.  The Show continues to be quirky, but still maintains some stakes.  Within 6 Episodes, I still don't know all that much about The Tick, but...eh, that's kind of the point.  His background mystery is played quite well.  If they don't ever pay it off, I'll take an issue with it.  All in all, these first 6 Episodes are quite fun, delivering on the premise and making me yearn to see more.  If you're wondering about the original Tick Actors, one is a Producer and the other...is here voicing a Dog.  Of course I'm not kidding.
Coming back from the arguably-overly-dark Pilot, this one gets the crazy balance right!  I still want Chairface Chippendale though.

No comments:

Post a Comment