Friday, December 11, 2015

New Flix: Deep Dark (2015)

I should start looking into more holes in the wall!  Today's Film is Deep Dark, a 2015 Horror Film that is all sorts of quirky.  What do you do if you are a poor Artist that won't be recognized?  The answer- consult with a strange creature to help you.  It is so obvious!  I didn't know a thing going into this one- it was just given to me to watch.  This one is certainly interesting, even if it is a bit slow-going.  It has a real 'Indy' vibe to it- from the Tone to the Settings and to the Story.  Hell, it is set in Portland!  This is certainly not going to be for everyone, but let me give you all a taste...
This is Hermann Haig.  He wants to be a paid Artist, but nobody likes his works.
Desperate, he calls his Uncle.  He's an Artist- sort of- and agrees to rent out his old place to him.
Unfortunately, it is a piece of crap and nothing seems to inspire him.  So much for your $400!
He discovers that a mysterious creature is living in the wall!  It helps him create some new Art.  Will this change his fortune?
Fortune turns in his favor!  Will everyone be happy for his success though?
More importantly, can he co-exist with a mysterious wall creature- even if it means success?
In addition, can he keep the thing a secret?  To find out, well, you know the drill.  The End.
Good, but odd stuff.  This certainly isn't going to be for everyone.  That said, it is still pretty good.  The Premise is unique enough to get your attention.  It certainly isn't the first 'Mysterious Person/Creature Acts as a Muse' Story ever- obviously.  Even so, you still don't see this kind of thing all the time.  The Film's key strength is its sense of Style.  They really commit to making everything look like it is supposed to, whether it is the fancy Gallery, the poor Home or the even-more-worse-off Apartment.  The Film's sense of Style is almost the biggest attraction.  The Characters have good moments and feel pretty real, but don't do as much for as I think that they were meant to.  I think that I still cared about them though- again, just not as much as I think the idea was.  I like the idea of the wall creature, even if I don't really know what it is supposed to be.  The Film's Budget clearly didn't allow for much, so they wrote a Story to make it work.  That is how you do it!  The Film takes some interesting turns, but never really ones that you don't see coming.  I guess obvious moments are used often because they work though.  For you 'Arthouse' guys, this is definitely up your alley.  If you like quirky Character pieces, you'll like this.  If you like straight-forward Horror, your results may vary.  Now if you'll excuse me, I have to check out this wall...
Next up, I continue to check out some new stuff.  I might even turn Japanese!  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment