Monday, October 27, 2014

Quick Reviews: Legendary (2012)

After a while, I decided that I should finally Review this.

In 2014, we in the United States are getting a 2012 Film Produced in China called...
A group of animal experts are tracking a giant bear in the Russian Woods.  It takes a turn for the worse when one of the group- Dolph Lundgren!- shoots it and aggravates it.
It kills one of the Crew before being taken down, leading the group's Leader- Scott Adkins- to quit.  He's convinced to come back for- say it with me- one last job to track down a Cryptid (undiscovered Animal).
The group runs into a hurdle when their prey turns out to be a large (CG) lizard that can attack on land and in water.  It helps them to rip off Jaws, so good news there.
Naturally, Dolph shows up and he has his own agenda: bring the Cryptid back dead and get famous for displaying the corpse.  He's...evil, I guess.
Since the film is so new (especially in the U.S.), I won't SPOIL too much.  I will give you a fleeting glimpse of the creature.  I trust that will be helpful.  The End.
It is something.  It is not much, but it is something.  At its heart, it is a straight-forward Action Film with a mild, Eco-twist to it.  The Story behind the Film is almost more interesting than the Film itself.  The Film was shot in China and funded by investors from the same Country.  It seems to be an attempt emulate Films that we (of the United States) make more often.  Does it succeed?  Well, it is a decent Film about a decent-looking CG Monster (a big Lizard).  That's about it though.  The Production Values are not lacking, but not much stands out.  It is funny to see how much they prioritize having Chinese Actors appear when you consider the background of said Film.  I'm sorry that I'm not more committal here, but I don't have much to say.  I will warn you to not get the Film mixed up with the Film of the same name from 2010 that is NOT about a giant Lizard (but is too old for this shit!)...
A simple, yet satisfying Action film.  It is nothing special and I doubt it being in 3-D would put it over the top either.

No comments:

Post a Comment