Saturday, April 19, 2014

WTF (South) Korea: Hansel and Gretel (2007)

I'm sorry- come again?!?  Today's film is the 2007 South Korean Film known as Hansel and Gretel.  I would have gotten to this one sooner, but...actually, I don't know why.  It may have something to do with the fact that there are about SIX of these films.  The Asylum has one, The Syfy Channel has one, David DeCoteau has one, there's this one and I think there's one with Hawkeye or something.  I'm sure it's okay.  Here's why I'm confused: this isn't Hansel and Gretel.  What it actually turns out to be is a Remake of the Classic Twilight Zone Episode 'It's a Good Life' (which was also Adapted into the 1983 Movie as well by Joe Dante).  The closest connection to the Classic Fairy Tale is a few references to it and a clear emulation to motifs in Pan's Labyrinth (with the juxtaposition of Fairy Tales and Reality).  I'll give them credit for aiming high, at least.  The film tells what starts out as a simple tale, but turns much odder.  I won't SPOIL it as I'm sure that some of you will want to see it for yourself.  Your chance to see it on Streaming via Netflix is gone (for now), but there's always DVD and whatever else you thieving bastards may use.  To get a hint about what is going on here (without a Witch), read on...
The film begins sharply with a man running through the Woods.  Is he running from a killer?  Is he running to save someone?  Did he just hear someone playing Banjos and think 'It is time to GO!' perhaps?
Well, they have to be Arty, so we cut back to earlier.  Our hero swerves to avoid hitting an animal and his car flips over.  Damn SUVs!
Wandering in the Woods with a head wound, he runs across this young girl who leads him back to a Cabin.  Seems like a good idea, says the concussion!
The house turns out to be owned by her Parents, who live there with her older brother and younger sister.  Our hero is hesitant to stay, but is also hurt.  It doesn't help that these people act super suspicious.
He wakes up and finds that the place is a bit...creepy.

Seriously, I'm not scared of Rabbits, but these guys look like they can see you!
They are sad to see him go, but he insists that he must go home.  His girlfriend, you see, is pregnant and he wants to be there for her.

Why do I suspect that something is going to go wrong?  Perhaps it is because of th 'Day One' Caption in the previous picture.  Well, that or I watched the whole movie.  
Sure enough, the trip ends in disaster and he returns to the Cabin.

On the plus side, he can enjoy these kids creepy cartoon.  This one's for you, Bob.
I won't SPOIL what happens in this one.  It takes a few Twists that are pretty neat.  One of them involves the arrival of the couple below.

It is a bit hard to explain properly...so I won't.  See the movie.  The End.
It's not my cup of tea (no confusing racism intended), but I can see how others might like it.  The set-up: neat.  The atmosphere: all there.  The execution: good, but not what I prefered.  The film both lives and dies by its story and how quickly you draw into it.  I got it pretty quickly, but had to wait for the film to get around to confirming what I thought.  I won't fault it for taking its time, mind you, but I just have to speak for myself.  Besides, I know that some of you are (or think that you are) really 'quick on the draw' when it comes to guessing Plot Points and the like.  If you see this through to the end, you'll have a good time.  I do, of course, want to note that as a sort-of K-Horror Film, it has many of the Tropes that I don't care for too much.  I won't 'throw the baby out with the bath water' here and just give up on all South Korean Horror or anything.  By the way, I seems to use 'Old Timey' expressions alot these days.  I usually use 'By the way' alot too.  Where was I?  Oh yeah, it is a well-appreciated gem to many.  Feel free to see if you are part of the club or just one of those people that 'are too cool to be in their club' like me.  I'll leave you with both a tease and something mot of you probably did not expect...
Up next, Easter is a Holy Holiday to many.  To celebrate, here's a film that will make you say 'Holy Crap- this isn't funny!'  Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment